Now that Easter has come and gone, what do you do with all those leftovers!?
Well, here’s an awesome idea from our good friend, Chef Mary Sonnier.
Cheddar Biscuits with Fried Ham and Creollaise
(scroll towards bottom for pics)
2 1/2 cups baking mix (such as Bisquick)
¼ tsp. Cayenne pepper
½ cup cold milk
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
Melted butter for the tops
Preheat oven to 425°
- Combine baking mix and cayenne in bowl; mix well then add cheese and mix again.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and slowly stir in the cold milk mixed with the 1 egg, until all ingredients are thoroughly moistened.
- Turn mixture onto floured board and knead gently (4 or 5 times). Pat dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with 2 ½ – inch biscuit cutter (or 1 inch for mini appetizer sized biscuits).
- Place cut biscuits in a pan, sprayed with non-stick baking spray, sides touching; brush with melted butter.
- Bake in preheated oven at 425° oven for approximately 17-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes about 8 biscuits. 24 mini biscuits
½ cup Blue Plate Mayonnaise
¼ cup Zatarain’s Creole Mustard
1 teasp. Worcestershire
1 Tablespoon honey
In a small bowl mix everything together with a whisk until smooth.
In a skillet, fry about 1 – 1 ½ pounds of sliced ham in a bit of butter. Put couple slices of fried ham between each biscuit that has been smeared with Creollaise.
Make ahead note: You can assemble the biscuits and ham ahead of serving; warm in a 350 degree oven, then squirt (from a squirt bottle) the Creollaise on right before serving.
Source: Chef Mary Sonnier
Thanks again Chef Sonnier! We appreciate all her hard (and delicious) work.
Breaux Mart is proud to be New Orleans’ locally owned, neighborhood grocery for 40+ years. Locations in Metairie, Garden District, River Ridge, Gretna, & Chalmette. We offer great prices and personalized customer service. Thanks for shopping with your Breaux!News, Recipes | March 28th, 2016