2014 Louisiana Annual Sales Tax Holiday – Friday, August 1, & Saturday, August 2
What is the Annual Sales Tax Holiday?
The Louisiana Annual Sales Tax Holiday provides an exemption from state sales tax on the first $2,500 of the purchase price of most individual items of tangible personal property for non-business use. The state sales tax is payable on the portion of the purchase price of any individual item in excess of $2,500.
The holiday applies only to the 4 percent state sales tax. It does not apply to sales taxes levied by parishes, municipalities,school boards, and other political subdivisions of the state.
Under Louisiana law,the annual sales tax holiday takes place on the first consecutive Friday and Saturday each August. The 2014 sales tax holiday begins at 12:01 a.m.on Friday,August 1, and continues through 11:59 p.m.on Saturday, August2.
What items are eligible for exemption?
The exemption applies statewide to all consumer purchases of tangible personal property, other than vehicles subject to license and title and meals furnished for consumption on the premises where purchased, including to-go orders, provided that the property is not for use in a business, trade, or profession.
What items are NOT eligible for exemption?
In addition to the specific exclusions in the Act for vehicles and meals, the state sales tax holiday does not apply to:
- Purchases of taxable services (such as hotel occupancy)
- Amusement, recreational, and athletic admissions
- Repairs to tangible personal property
- Laundry, cleaning, pressing,and dyeing services
- Vehicle parking
- The furnishing of cold storage space
- Printing services
- Telecommunication services
- Leases or rentals of tangible personal property
What are the conditions for exemption?
A customer is eligible for the sales tax exemption if during the two days of each annual holiday:
- The customer buys and accepts delivery of eligible property;
- The customer places property on layaway;
- The customer acquires property that was previously placed on layaway; or
- The customer places an order for immediate delivery,even if delivery must be delayed,provided that the customer has not requested delayed shipment.
News | July 16th, 2014